Thursday, May 20, 2010

I remember when I was an animator ...

Actually, that's bullshit. I never considered myself an animator. I was just a guy who could draw really fast thus creating the illusion of movement. (Another 'Secrets From The Masters' revealed.)
Anyway, where was I?
Oh yeah, a few years ago I inadvertently became a full-time animator when I created a character called 'Media Dog'.
I initially developed 'Media Dog' as a cartoon strip but the handful of newspaper editors I approached were basically scared shitless by the idea ( the modern New Zealand print media - stalwarts of originality).
As luck would have it, I showed the cartoon strip samples to the makers of T.V. show 'Eating Media Lunch' and they said, "yeah, alright - fuck it" or words to that effect so I got in on the ground floor.
Along with the multi-hyphenate Andrew Conlan (who would voice most of the characters I created during Eating Media Lunch's long run), I got to work with Karl Wills on the first few episodes.
Karl is the one of the few New Zealand comic book artists and animators whom I think deserves to conquer the planet. In fact, I think he might be in the process of doing so.
Anyway, getting back to me (because it is all about me), here's my original script of the very first episode of 'Media Dog'.
I got into trouble for this one. Dunno why ...



No comments:

Post a Comment